Thursday, November 3, 2011

Senior Year Field Trip: Part 1 of 2

Being obvious from the title, this years annual "educational" field trip at our school  was the last one we senoirs would have. The field trip has always been a source of excitement for every student. It's a chance to break free from the evryday, normal routine we often get tired of when it's been too long. This year, - October 21, to be precise - we were scheduled to visit The Myth of the Human Body exhibit located in Taguig City. It's this place where they show real human bodies and/or their parts that have gone through a scientific process of preservation called Plastination (see link below if you wanna know more). Because we were told early on that everything in there was going to be real, we had no idea what to expect.
We were first led into a room where we watched a short video presentation about the body and it's many parts, but generally I would say it focused a whole lot more on reproduction than necessary. After that, we were grouped in smaller numbers - being that the whole high school department of our humble school was there - for the tour. I felt really bad that I goy separated from my buddy or buddies because we were grouped, but I felt lucky enough to still have been grouped with a couple of my close guy friends. One was thoughtful enough to sort of be my temporary buddy. We got the fortune of having a nice "tour guide." She was a girl who was sociable enough yet she seemed quite professional and she gave eye contact and was very open to answer any questions, even those that are a little more awkward or embarassing to ask than others. The exhibit was divided into several systems of the body (i.e. muscular, reprodustive, etc.) and these systems were represented by certain gods (i.e. Poseidon, Dionysus, etc.).  The building sort of seemed like a house inside that had many heres and theres where you would probably get lost easily if you just wandered off. It was bigger that it looked. The specimens, as they were referred to, were really a sight. those that were full or whole were positioned in a somewhat artistic way representingcertain sports or athletic activities.
*notice: photography was not allowed inside, so I simply got these photos off the net.

I never thought in my lifetime that I would ever get to see what a human's brain looked like. What my brain technically looked lik, but I guess in some ways I have been curious. Well, I did want to be an anthropologist before. Anyway, we got to see practically everything. Bones, lungs, intestined, livers. Name it. If it's part of the human body, I'd bet it was there. They also showcased a part of the exhibit where the only organs were displayed. We got to see what cancer on a lung would look like, what a tumor would look like in a certain organ; it was amazing for me.Although I will not deny that at first I was a little torn whetehr or not I was a little bothered because a couple of my classmates and batchmates mentioned to me how it was a little weird that you really could look into a face and know that it must've walked the earth just like we were now. They really had features, but I guess they just didn't expect it to be that way. I had thought about it before and anticipated seeing faces of people that are now instruments of education  to the community.

There was also a portion where different stages of the fetus where available for sight, and maybe it was because of the chemicals or the prematurity of some of the specimens, but the skin of the fetuses seems transluscent, like tracing paper just a little more jelly-like. The assortment of all that they were able to include in the axhibit ang their appraoch in presenting it was a good experience for me. It's something surely not everyone gets to see. The weirdest thing was at the end of the tour though. After all the photo-opp areas, a flight of stairs downward would lead you to a sort of ice cream parlor before reaching the exit. WEIRD. Still, The Myth of the Human Body Exhibit will surely be something I won't be forgetting any time soon.

FIELD TRIP CANDID MOMENT!

Do the JEJEpose! Hahaha, LOL!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment