Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Deciding what course to take in college

Since, as of now, my batch mates and I are seniors, the biggest thing is college. We may not be in college yet, but college is the constant topic and discussion of everyday so far. 

Aside from college giving anybody a better and maybe brighter future, it also helps determine the path you will take in the future and for how long you will be studying. It points you to the career you may or may not choose to take up. 

The pressures of college right now are just innumerable. I don't even want to think of what could happen or what I might go through physically and emotionally if ever I end up choosing the wrong course. Not to mention, the waste of time and money that would come with the results of not being cautious in deciding. 

Another thing is that there is definitely nobody who can make this choice for you. That is, assuming that parents are not involved apart from being a support and  fund system for the future college student. Of course, top choices are the "Ivy League" colleges or those that have made a name for themselves. 

Getting into college, from what I am experiencing now, can be such a hassle. Parents can do it, but that usually never happens in our case. I guess you could say that we're just being encouraged to be independent and get to know and do things on our own especially if it's for our benefit.

Things that we are not afraid of and are actually excited about are getting to create our own schedules, choosing our professors, and having more than an hour of lunch time. As high school students, these are big changes for us.

One thing to ponder on at least, setting aside all the pressures and weight of having to make one of the biggest decisions in  my life, is the feeling and sense of pride I know I will get when I here "Congratulations, Graduates" (or at least something like that). Somewhat being accomplished and proud of yourself, for finishing school and getting a college degree. I bet that quite an overwhelming feeling of freedom may also surge through every graduate in that  picture perfect moment when they throw those caps in the air and cheer for themselves. Now that is something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment