Thursday, June 16, 2011

Getting our UPCAT test permits!

Yesterday, a couple of friends and I cut school short (completely permitted and allowed, of course) to take care of our applications and everything else to the University of the Philippines. For a couple of us, this was such a big deal. we were never out to do things as serious as these, I mean it was as if we were holding our future in our hands. At first, the plan was to commute there from 7eleven where we grabbed a snack since we left right after being dismissed for our first recess break. Suddenly, after I texted my mother that we were leaving for UP, she calls me on my cellphone and asks where we were because she wanted to pick us up and give us a ride. This would normally be better, but my mom doesn't really know much about the roads inside the biggest university in the Philippines. We got a little lost at first and I admit to feeling a little bit awkward when we were all cramped in our car and was talking on her phone to different people, quite loudly because we were mobile. My parents were pretty generous this time around though, they had given me enough money previously to go out with friends.

After turning around and going back after a second wrong turn, we finally take the right path with the help of my classmate, Rays, who - fortunately enough - knows his way around a little. Rays had been there before and sort of wet through how the process was so he was the one who guided us on what we were to do. 

Oblation Statue
First off, the five of us were to go to the Landbank within the campus (close to the Office of Admissions, luckily) to get in line and pay for the UPCAT testing fee which was P450. We were given three forms each (all the same) to fill out. Those slips would be the one to line up behind the stack of other slips belonging to people with the same purpose. Luckily enough, the day before, our adviser, T. Aileen, warned us about getting in along line and encouraged us to leave the school earlier that lunch time which was our original plan, assuming that there would be many other people who were to do the same as we were. We were just asked to finish the Rules and Regulations of the school seminar then we could go. We ended up taking her advice and I'm darn glad we did! We were outside the bank, waiting for our names to be called out for around two hours. The only two positive things I could think of of our situation was that we could sit and there were more people who came after us, so we weren't really on the unlucky side. This time had also given us the opportunity to fill in the blank space in our application forms and to compare zip codes, grades, signatures, etc. Hana, my filipino-grown Korean friend, ended up missing a couple of extra files and documents that she needed in order to qualify since she was not born in the country. The time gave her and Rays - who needed some cash - some time to go back home (good thing they lived near by) and get the things they needed. Plus we also got to admire our surroundings and how we could one day be studying here, especially Kimmy and I who have UP on the top of our list.

I even remembered that I had a cousin who was starting to her first semester at UP after passing and getting in. Alecx encouraged me to contact her, it was a chance to see each other. I texted her and she was totally supportive and telling me to do a good job and to pass the entrance exam. I asked a couple of questions and tips on what she did when she was just applying. She told me to think things through a lot and carefully make my decisions and especially to consider the quotas for my course and the UP college I was going to choose.

Candid Moment!
During the time they were gone, I, Alecx and Kimmy got to talk about stuff I'd rather not mention here (hahaha!) and get our stuff together in case we were called. Kimmy also grabbed the chance to record the moment with pictures and capture the moment we were taking care of our college requirements on ourselves, without any parent or adult.

We were even put through this moment where we were nervously shaken by the fact that Rays and I were next and to enter the bank soon, but he and Hana were still on the way back. Alecx was kind enough to stand in for Rays but was nervous about not knowing what to do if ever she was asked to sign something as Rays. We were even to the moment were she and I were already waiting inside the tiny bank and I could almost feel the seconds on my watch and on the wall clock to my right ticking within me. Both of us had no idea what to do, and depended of Rays being the first to do everything just so we could copy whatever he does. Almost to the last second, there was a knock on the door and Rays came in and sat next to me. A few minutes later, Hana was called in and she took a seat. The guard was oddy nice enough to tell us a few jokes and to share a short conversation with us as we waited for our turn. There was even this lady who asked to go before us, and she looked like she was gonna faint. She approached the guard about cutting in, and the guard approved, saying a tad too loud for us not to "overhear" that the stringer ones are kind enough to give way.

As Rays and I exited, it was Hana's turn and Alecx and Kimmy were by the door, about to go in. As the two of us waited outside, I felt a small wave of relief knowing that the long part was over. After a few minutes of waiting, Hana joined us and we were strangely quiet. We were definitely tired. The lady who cut and went before us left after (weird, I know) us thanked me and smiled. Soon enough we were headed to the Office of Admissions to get everything together.

Office of Admissions
There was this pause inside, everyone waiting for Rays to take the first step. all of us checked and double-checked our forms. This part was what I hated. There was this option upon applying that if ever you didn't get in the quota of the first UP college you chose, but passed the UPCAT, you could opt to have a second UP college and you may be accepted there. I had previously asked my parents about this and I never got a straight answer. The top two UP colleges were Diliman and Manila. It's almost automatic to choose Manila after choosisng Diliman as your first choice, but I definitely had more course choices and courses that I liked at UP Los Banos. I fussed and called and texted my parents. My dad thought that it was too far and preferred Manila, but ended up consenting to me going to wherever as long as I could handle it. I ended up being the last one to submit therefore I was the last one to be called over via microphone or megaphone or whatever and find out my testing schedule. When we did though, we compared and complained and rejoiced, but I felt the real, full weight of relief. as in relief. It felt great!

We then proceeded to Technohub along commonwealth Avenue to get eating. We were exhausted and it was as if we were candles and our fires were slowly dying down. It was kind of funny how we continued to chatter off, make conversation and talk, but our physical movements were getting lazy. We even had mishaps with the food. Hana found a hair in her chicken, and I found a tiny bug on the inside of my cup of Coke. It was gross, but they knew enough to replace it. We walked around a bit and chilled. At around 4:30 pm we decided to go home because we were kind of starting to feel sorry for Rays who looked tired and like he wanted to go home, and he was kind enough to say that he would go home when we would. He would wait for us to get into our taxis before he left. I was first to get into a cab because I was to go home alone. Funny, before I left I almost slipped while descending a couple of steps. Coincidentally, Alecx had a similar experience upon entering the Office of Admissions and while Rays, Alecx and Kimmy were sending me off at the top of the steps, Rays had a thought of what could happen if I slipped or stumbled.  Now I blame the thought for my failed exit. 

For me, everything turned out to be satisfying. I was proud of myself, proud of all of us. One college down, definitely a whole lot more to go. : ))

No comments:

Post a Comment