Monday, June 13, 2011

Why I love Lemonade Mouth: the Band and the Disney Movie

I first learned about Lemonade Mouth while searching the net for lists of top 10s or top 20s list of songs. I stumbled across the - at that time - current list from Radio Disney. Just to clear thinds out, here in the Philippines (for those who don't know), there really isn't a Radio Disney. We only have the different Disney channels on cable TV.

I saw the song 'Somebody' and I'm not sure, but I think it was in the top five if not the number one song on the list. When I listened to the preview or free listening thing they had available on the sight, I honestly felt that some of the voices were familiar. Even the small icon where the cover of the album from which the song belongs to were of people that I felt I surely have seen before. Turns out, I was right! Moo-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha (my supposedly evil laugh :P). I know Bridgit Mendler the most from the Disney series Good Luck, Charlie, then I know that Adam Hicks stars in The Adventures of Zeke and Luther (another Disney series), and I saw Hayley Kiyoko on a couple of episodes of Disney's Wizards of Waverly Place

I listened to the song and immediately loved the message and the truth that it tells, especially for kids like me... the lyrics could be related to feeling the pressure from school, peers and family, getting good grades, trying to do what you want, facing what the future brings and discovering who you really are and what you're meant to do.

Ever since then, I tried to stay up-to-date with their songs through the Radio Disney site. Then, one day, all of a sudden, while watching TV in my room, I see them: Lemonade Mouth. Disney was promoting the premiere of the movie in Asia. I was happy, but kind of confused. It kind of made me ponder on whether Lemonade Mouth was even real of just like Troy and Gabriella of High School Musical. Either way, I was still stoked to see what the movie was all about. Based on the teasers, I could tell that it went a little deeper with its message compared to all the other Disney (non-animated) films I have seen throughout my entire life. 

The film starts of by showing that Lemonade Mouth all began in detention, hahaha, but then rewinds to the  beginning. Like the beginning-beginning. It revolves around these five students who battle different daily confrontations and emotional hardships, but in more ways than one, they sure fit in with each other even though it may not be obvious at first. they end up jamming in detention spontaneously and end up doing a great performance without even knowing it. As their teacher returns to the room, she suddenly declares that fate brought them together and points out that they were all meant to sing or perform together. Although I consider all the five Disney stars as leads, I just think, that Bridgit Mendler is a teeny, tiny bit more the star in the movie. Aside from being the said front man of the band, there are some things in the movie that only her character gets to have (e.g. a sort of romance with a member of the band, tragic things about what the state of her parents are, the old cat). 

Although I have said how the movie starts, I will definitely not spoil how it ends, but I will say that there is an alternate ending on the extended version, and how they got their name. I will also say that their music talks about things that are so true and uplifting, that I really have grown to like them. I'll continue supporting them and listening to their music. Rock on!


Watch 'Somebody' Official Music Video on YouTube

Check out Lemonade Mouth on IMDb

Lemonade Mouth on Facebook!

Lemonade Mouth Songs (including OST) on musictory

No comments:

Post a Comment